Denver is a great place from where you can take many long and short road trips. It is surrounded by amazing destinations with stunning landscapes and attractions. The best road trips from Denver take you to Estes Park, Boulder, Glenwood Springs, Aspen, and more. You can have a kid-friendly road trip or a 5-to-7-day long road trip with your friends. It is even possible to take short road trips from this place for a day or a weekend getaway. Keep reading as we reveal the top destinations around Denver below.
Best Road Trips from Denver
Explore any of the following places according to your preferences around Denver. You will certainly have a great time.
A road trip to Estes Park from Denver is only 70 miles long. If you want to explore a mountain getaway, Estes Park is the best option. You can drive around Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park Shuttles here. Some entertaining activities to try with your kids are hiking, biking, skiing, and snow-tubing. Depending on the time of the year you plan a trip, you may get to attend various festivals. These include live music, wine, and chocolate festivals.
Looking for some good weekend road trips from Denver? Visit Boulder, situated at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. There are many hiking trails here and parks to visit. You can explore the Eldorado Canyon State Park or watch street performers at the Pearl Street Mall. The University of Colorado Boulder hosts many cultural events for both travelers and students. You may also have a fine dining experience at the Chautauqua Park.
Glenwood Springs also comes in the list of weekend road trips from Denver that are short and easy. It’ll only take you two hours and 37 minutes to reach here. This place has the largest mineral hot spring pool in the entire world. It is surrounded by the epic White River National Forest. Watch the Hanging Lake that has turquoise water, or visit the ancient underground caves, Glenwood Caverns. It’s the perfect place for a family road trip.
Aspen is a ski resort town. It’s a destination where you can spend a weekend all year round. It has some high-end restaurants and boutiques. The place also gives a slice of history with landmarks like the Wheeler Opera House and the Wheeler-Stallard House Museum. It was built in the 19th century. If you wish for a picture-perfect destination away from Denver for a weekend, Aspen would be the best.
Yellowstone National Park
It is a highly popular park in the US and lies 509 miles from Denver. If you are up for a long drive or trip, consider Yellowstone National Park. The drive takes 8 hours and 20 minutes, so you can stay here for a week or four days. This place is rich in lush landscapes, hot springs, rivers, and large canyons. Some good activities to engage in here are rock climbing, hiking, and whitewater rafting.
Zion National Park
Located at a distance of 636 miles from Denver, Zion National Park in Utah is a traveler’s paradise. A drive here takes approximately 9 hours. So, you can plan a bigger stay with your family. This place has many canyoneering and hiking routes. You can stargaze, birdwatch, backpack, and do so much more. The location is replete with natural beauty.
A Like Post – AAA Car Rental Discounts at Enterprise
Short Road Trips from Denver for a Weekend or a Day
Many cities and towns lie near Denver but have many interesting things to do. If you don’t want 8-hour or seven-day road trips from Denver, explore the places below.
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial – A drive here will take only five hours. You may visit the Mount Rushmore monument or the Crazy House Memorial. The latter is the world’s largest sculpture. Otherwise, visit the historic Keystone and Cluster State Park.
- Palisade town – This charming town lies between Grand Junction and Grand Mesa National Forest. It’s a 3-hour drive from Denver and has a scenic landscape. You may visit any of the 26 wineries or, if visiting in September, be a part of the Colorada Mountain Winefest. There’s also the Peach Festival in August that hosts fun peach-eating competitions.
- Colorado Springs – The driving time for this road trip will be just an hour and 20 minutes. Head straight to landmarks like the Garden of Gods and Pikes Peak. You will undoubtedly enjoy hiking at these places. Book a sunrise hot balloon tour to watch the splendid mountain views.
- Great Sand Dunes National Park – Located just 241 miles from Denver, a drive here takes three hours and 50 minutes. Visit this place to watch the tallest sand dunes in North America. They stretch for 30 miles against the Sangre De Cristo Mountains. Hiking and sledding the massive piles of sand is a popular activity here.
- Peak to Peak Byway – Through the US-36 W and CO-119 drive, a trip to this place takes only one hour and 19 minutes. The 55-mile scenic route will leave you mesmerized. You can take many photos driving along Estes Park, Nederland, Black Hawk, and Central City. There are many parks like the Golden Gate Canyon State Park and Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests to explore.
Now you know the best places to explore around Denver. These are great ones to visit solo or with your entire family. If it’s a long trip, you can explore the place for a few days, but if it’s short, plan it for the weekend. Either way, you will feel refreshed when you return.
Related Article – AAA Car Rental Discounts
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which cities are 6 hours away from Denver?
Many cities lie at a distance of 6 hours from Denver. These include Amarillo in Texas, Garden City in Kansas, Cheyenne in Wyoming, and Keystone in South Dakota.
- Which are some good national parks near Denver?
You can visit the Arches National Park and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Other options include the Rocky Mountain National Park and the Great Sand Dunes National Park.
- Which is the less-explored national park in Colorado?
Black Canyon of the Gunnison is the least-explored national park in Denver, Colorado. Not more than 300,000 tourists visited it in 2022.
- What are some good road trips from Denver by car?
You can visit Colorado Springs, Glenwood Springs, Aspen, and Santa Fey in New Mexico by car. You only need a few hours to get to these places for a weekend.